As many of you all know, I did not return to the States for the holiday season. I figured that since I planned on being in London for only a year and long distance holiday travel is neither simple nor inexpensive, it made the most sense to stay in Europe. Furthermore, my good friend, Lea, who I've known since my final year of high school, said that it would be fine if I spent Christmas and the New Year with her, her family and her friends at her home in her native Cologne, Germany. Retrospectively, I would have decided to return home for the break if I wasn't able to be around people who I enjoy and familiar faces. Although I had such a great time, I realised that the question isn't about chaotic travel or money or if I am able to survive long periods abroad, but the holiday season is about family and friends; no matter where I am in my schooling, career or life, it's going to be Stateside for Christmas (at least).

The Christmas tradition in Germany is very similar to that in the States. Both Lea's family and mine our Catholic, so I'd say that is probably a big reason why I experienced no surprises. Although everything was in German, I "understood" much of the Christmas [Eve] Mass because it was carried out in a similar fashion as it is in the States and several of the songs, prayers, etc. were the same. However, gift giving was a bit different (it may depend on family tradition, or not): in Germany it is common to get
a gift for someone (no need for the extravagance of spending ridiculous amounts of money on a countless number of presents!), which is given on the evening of the 24th (not the morning of the 25th) and family arrives later in the day on the 25th for coffee and cakes, followed by gift-giving, dinner and time for socialising afterward. There was a Church service on the 26th as well (which is optional...). The holiday season continues until 6 January, the day of the three kings.
Lea and her friends had an additional tradition, which is definitely befitting of the Christmas season. They sing carols at the local hospital, where Lea's mom works, for those who are unable to be at home. What better way to get into the Christmas spirit than to share it with others, especially those who are ill? Again, it was difficult because I didn't know German. Luckily I was able to remember the different sounds that letter combinations make from my previous visit to Köln, so hopefully I didn't sound too bad...
Regardless of event or tradition, I felt extremely welcome. Lea's parents, family and friends (Lea, too, of course!!!!!) are such genuinely nice people. It was a bit frustrating that I wasn't able to speak any German, though. However, everyone treated me as if I was a regular part of the family and friend unit. There's nothing like German hospitality! That's what Christmas is truly about!
The New Year's celebration was similar to that of pretty much everywhere: PARTY and ring in the New Year with a bang! New Year's Eve is known as "Silvester" in Germany, and I spent it at Lea's boyfriend's flat in downtown Cologne. The Kölch (regional beer of Cologne) added the quintessential German element to the fest. Haha.

To all my family and friends I wish you a wonderfully prosperous, enjoyable and successful 2010! Prost!

Overall, despite the fact that I missed my Stateside family and friends, I had a great holiday in Germany. There were many dinners, cakes+coffees and family/friend rendez-vous, with a few lazy do-nothing days thrown in for sanity. I was even able to get out of Cologne as well. Lea's dad needed to do business in Heidelberg, so we were able to spend an afternoon there (too bad the weather was extremely wet!). I can see why it is popular with tourists--it looks very German, castle and all!
See everyone in 2010!
Glad you enjoyed Cologne! Looks gorgeous.
ReplyDelete-Ian
Hey Drew,
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed your time in Germany :) We experienced the same feeling in Venice a few years ago. Turns out that no matter how excited you are to be in this amazing place, at that moment part of you just wants to be back at home where everything is familiar! Anyways, Happy New Year!
Drew,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a nice time. I know just what you mean about being Stateside for the holidays -- last year I was with close friends, but it couldn't compare to Christmas at home. This year (esp. since I will unlikely be able to go home for a while) I wouldn't dream of missing Christmas with my family. And, of course, it ended up being very enjoyable (if not only for the food: see my blog for baked goods and imagine in addition a full prime rib/lobster tail/crab leg dinner. . .it was rich!)
I miss and love you,
Babe
Haha, yes Kölsch defenitely was a crucial element of the silvester-party :D
ReplyDeletexo
Angie
Drew, We are glad to see that, although you were not with us, you were in a friendly place. We would like to thank Lea, her parents, family, and friends for showing you such a wonderful holiday. Love you and miss you, your mom and dad
ReplyDelete