Andrew and I decided to only stay in Istanbul because of the limited time (and £$€) that we had. It was a good decision. We had about 4 days in which we were able to see all of the major sites of the city, as well as a few other less-visited/well-known places. We would have needed to start exploring beyond greater Istanbul to make the most out of our visit if we had any more time.
The adventure began on arrival. The budget airlines fly into the lesser known, less traveled to and far away from your actual/final destination airports. This time the airport was on a different continent, Asia. I wanted to get to the European side of Istanbul (the city spans both Europe and Asia, with the Bosporus Strait as the divider), so I had to take a bus and a ferry to get to my hostel and the main tourist attractions. I had no idea which bus to take (I am cheap/poor, so I always take the public transportation versus shuttle busses or taxis where applicable), and spoke no Turkish. However, a gentleman was kind enough to tell me which bus to take. Furthermore, I had too big of bills from the ATM to pay for the bus. An extremely nice woman paid for me with her bus pass! What a great introduction to Turkish hospitality! I did pay for the ferry, though--1,5 Turkish lira (TL) ≈ $1 ≈ £0.60. I was expecting it to be really expensive, but I learned another lesson: public transport in Turkey is dirt cheap. :) Not only was the ride easy on my pocketbook, but it also was easy on the eyes; I was able to see the picturesque skyline of Istanbul, with its mosques/minarets, towers, skyscrapers, bridges, lighthouses and palaces. Too bad it was a cloudy, cold day!
When Andrew arrived the next morning, we began exploring the city. We started out with one of the most famous landmarks: the Sultan Ahmed/Blue Mosque. It was the prettiest mosque that I've ever seen, as well as one of the biggest. The light grey marble facade with smoky, bluish-grey domes were a captivating sight on the looming building. The best part was getting to go inside! I've never been in a mosque before and I thought that non-Muslims weren't allowed in them. I was wrong! It was gorgeous--the architecture was stunning, with many stained-glass windows and painted stone. After that, Andrew and I went to the Hagia Sophia. This was a former Byzantine cathedral that was turned into a mosque. It wasn't as impressive, albeit it was bigger than the Blue Mosque and had beautiful mosaics of Christian figures. It was a bit darker inside and there was scaffolding covering about a quarter of the inside. (We also entered and viewed the Suleymaniye Mosque, but on a later date). Once we finished with the Hagia Sophia, we went to the Basilica Cistern that was across the street. It was quite mysterious. The underground space was another relic of the Byzantine Empire, and was held up by many lit columns. The dampness from the water that filled the floor of the space made it an eerily interesting. It was surprising to see huge, koi-like fish swimming below the bridges on which you were walking. Lastly, in the evening, we went to the Grand Bazaar. It was an enclosed network of passageways that were lined by touristy stalls/shops. I was surprised that the vendors weren't as forceful as Morocco to try and get you to come into their stall to rip you off on some trinket or knock-off clothes.
Over the next few days we saw quite a bit more of the city on both of the European and Asian sides. We were able to visit the Topkapı and Dolmabahçe Palaces. Each were palaces for the Ottoman sultans, the latter being the newer and more ornate. Both were quite impressive and took several hours to fully visit and explore the palace and the surrounding grounds. There also was the Rumeli Fortress, which, although gutted, made for an almost equally spectacular tour.
Several places around the city allow for spectacular panoramic views of the city. Andrew and I went up the Galata Tower and the Pine Hill to fully grasp what the city looked like and how large it actually was. Impressive!
Well, Istanbul just moved one notch up on my "Places I must see" list. It was already in the Top 5, so now its in the Top 3! Thanks for the post!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! I'm glad that you liked the post, read it and have been moved enough to upgrade the city. :)
ReplyDeleteHey Drew, I just caught up on your travels. It's so cool you got to see the Hagia Sophia. I remember learning about it in my High School Humanities class. However, I don't remember what exactly I learned about it. It's been awhile. We missed you at Christmas, it felt so strange without you. Miss you and Love you lots,
ReplyDeleteKris
This is great to hear. Turkey is only a short ferry ride across the Black Sea -- maybe we will make it over there while we are here -- although Spain, Norway, Ladakh, and Finland are higher on our list!
ReplyDeleteHave you though about doing workaway? workaway.info.
Glad you had a good time!
Love, Kim