The trip was a bit last-minute. I booked my bus ticket and hostel on Thursday for the Friday arrival. This meant that I had to limit my visit to a single location. I settled on Cardiff, the capital of Wales and its largest city. My "Europe on a Budget" tour book had good things to say about it, so I figured it wouldn't be a mistake. I was right. Cardiff was quite quaint (compared with sprawling London) and picturesque. Saturday was a gorgeous day as well--sunny and 16C (61F). Within the city's centre, there was a 2000 yr.-old castle. Some of its former inhabitants included the Romans. COOL! The best part of the compound was in the main building, the lord's living quarters. The wood carvings that adorned seemingly every doorway, ceiling and wall, in addition the stained glass windows, were out of this world--ornate, colourful, lifelike, etc. Furthermore, the city's centre also boasted a vast array of interesting "arcades" (alleyways that were lined with shops) that connected the main streets.
Overall, Wales was a unique place. Despite the fact that I was still in the UK, I almost felt as if I were in a different country (technically yes, but no...). All of the signs were both in Welsh and English, and the accents were quite different. There were only a few times that I heard Welsh being spoken. It's COMPLETELY different from English. It looks as if the language is entirely made up of "w"'s, "l"'s, "f"'s, "d"'s, "y"'s and other assorted consonants, with a few random vowels thrown in for spice. Examples: Wales = "Cymru", Cardiff = "Caerdydd", bus = "bws", and the city named "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch". If you're wondering, the double "l"'s don't sound like "y"'s as they do in Spanish. In fact, seemingly nothing sounds the way that it's spelled.
Edinburgh, Scotland is on the "to see" list for next weekend! I've heard it's a bit nicer than Cardiff, so it should be a good excursion.
looks like you're having fun Drew! We missed you at Homecoming and Kim's Wedding! Btw, Take lots of pics with you in it! Those are always the best ones later!
ReplyDeleteSomeone I worked with this summer was from Wales (Llantwit Major) and he would laugh at me for not knowing how to pronounce anything in Welsh. I agree with you though; it's all garbly-gook to me! Sounds like you're having a fantastic time!
ReplyDeleteKelly Wegener (it seems weird putting my last name when we're friends, but I'm assuming you have more than 1 friend named Kelly!)