Friday, November 20, 2009

Course Choices

Our selection for our modules in the upcoming terms, Terms 2 & 3, were due today.  It seems as if I wasn't the only one who was stressing out about which courses we should take; everyone was debating with others and themselves on which courses would be the best.  The course director for the Control of Infectious Diseases, as well as all of the literature pertaining to module selection, stressed how important our choices were and how it was difficult to change them once we submitted the form.  However, we were given some direction on how to go about picking the courses (i.e. choose the courses that are pertinent to what you want to do as a summer project and what you ultimately want to do as a career), in addition to the course descriptions and previous timetables.  It was still difficult to choose the six courses because many interesting and applicable to what I'd like to do, especially when a single time slot had several courses that would be useful.  Overall, I decided to go heavy on skills-based modules, which would give me a firm understanding of epidemiology and public health [studies].

After much vacillation between "final decisions" on what exactly to choose, this is what my next two terms look like:
Primary Health Care: Principles, Applications and Challenges
Design and Analysis of Epidemiological Studies
Disease Control Programmes in Developing Countries
Epidemiology of Communicable Diseases
Applying Public Health Principles in Developing Countries
Control of Reproductive Tract Infections/Sexually Transmitted Infections

I am happy with my final [final final final final...] decision.  It is possible to take courses, such as Health Care Evaluation and AIDS, as "distance learning" courses.  These won't count towards my final MSc marks, but I will be able to maximise my knowledge and experience here.
 

1 comment:

  1. Drew,

    I understand completely how tough it can be to make such choices! Especially when, in all honesty, you have so many interests and can envision yourself doing many successful things.

    I think, however, that you have chosen so glood classes. The course on Disease Control Programmes sounds really interesting, as does the Epidemiology of Communicable Diseases.

    These all sound fabulous. Glad to get the update!

    ReplyDelete