Saturday, November 28, 2009

Saturday at a Royal Society

One of the perks about the LSHTM is that it is well-connected to the many different global health and medical societies of London, the UK and even the world.  The Royal Society of Medicine and the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (RSTM&H) are just two examples.  Not only are the School's students eligible for membership in these organisations, but we are able to attend the different meetings and conferences sponsored by them.  Today's meeting on neglected tropical diseases (NTD) was no exception.

Although it was a Saturday and I had to get up @ 7.30 to make the 9 meeting, the meeting was worth it.  The participants were treated to fascinating lectures on schistosomiasis, leprosy, lymphatic filariasis, etc.  The presenters were world-class as well; many of the speakers were World Health Organisation programme or office directors and staff, university professors who were the leaders in their respective fields and leaders in other global health organisations.  Attendees also were able to receive free membership to the RSTM&H!  Jealous?

Unfortunately, though, my parents left this morning to return to the States.  That put a damper on the day.  I had such a good time with them, as well as with my sister when I went to Spain to visit them all.  Hopefully they had a good time too! 

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh I'm jealous!! Sounds pretty awesome... :) ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete