I have been in the UK for over a month now and am already in a routine. It is now getting easier to juggle class, study/reading and the everyday life activities.
This past week has been a bit different, though. My first "assignment" for submission was due this week: a presentation. The subject was of my choosing, so I presented on my experiences in undergrad that led me to become interested in HIV/AIDS. It went well. My tutor, by whom the project was assigned, and one of my fellow classmates seemed to like the presentation.
Over the week I also was able to meet with a faculty member who possibly could be my summer project supervisor. Yes, the subject will be HIV/AIDS. The professor is one of the best policy researchers of the School, so I will be investigating an aspect of the politics of HIV/AIDS if I am able to work under him. Hopefully things work out!
I managed to squeeze in some culture this week as well. The tour guide who took us around Bloomsbury during Orientation Week recommended that we take advantage of the free museums in the area, one of which being the Wellcome Trust-sponsored Wellcome Collection. I finally was able to take advantage of the recommendation. It had great, medically-focused exhibits on microscopic imaging, medical tools and artefacts of yesteryear and other health-related exhibits. It's worth seeing if you are interested in health and/or medicine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This sounds fantastic Drew.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are getting the hang of evrything there!
And, thank you for writing in my guestbook at my wedding (Jim and Joye played proxies).
I miss you and hope we can meet somewhere in Europe next year "(if that's where you end up for the project).
DREW! Jim and I are getting our internet fixed in our apartment today! So hopefully we can skype soon! Let us know some times this weekend/week that are good for you. Also, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
ReplyDeleteWhen and how long is your summer project? Do you come back to the UK for a write-up?
ReplyDeleteKim: I miss you as well! I was thinking of you on your wedding day...maybe those thoughts were transferred via Jim & Joye! Let me know if you are going to be on this side of the pond. I'd love to see you! Good luck with your new life with Rick!
ReplyDeleteJoye: It was great speaking with you and Jim! We need to make that a habit. Take care.
Will: My summer project will be approx. 6 wks. I am going to go to Africa, but I'm not sure where and exactly when. I will be back in the UK for a couple weeks before I go back to the US for med school (that's still the plan!).